Mothercare Global Brand - Head Office, Westside 1, London Road, Hemel Hempstead , HP39TD
|Contract Hours:||Full Time|
Mothercare are excited to be expanding our Design team and are seeking a talented Assistant Designer for boys wear. You will be a creative individual, with strong collaborative skills in order to support the team to meet deadlines. The successful candidate will be involved in the full design process including researching trends, identifying competitors, pulling the new seasons ranges together, creating tech packs and artwork briefing sheets and liaising with suppliers, all to produce products that truly fit the needs and aspirations of parents worldwide.
- Drive research, trend, and ensure product and colour information is produced for the department in line with company, divisional and department strategy, providing choice for customers
- Collaborate on trend by collating comprehensive research and original inspiration, to support colour, trend, fabric and product direction at the start of the season.
- Produce design specs suitable for suppliers to interpret and liaise with them to achieve successful results
- Report on new directions, developments and product opportunities which can be incorporated into new ranges
- Regularly review global competitors and evaluate sources of inspiration in the industry and wider markets; be alert to the requirements of the 5 critical global markets through establishing strong relationships with Commercial Business Partners
- Understand demands of the critical path and ensure deadlines are met and that products being designed are producible
- Build a knowledge of the product industry in which you work to ensure that design development is aligned with industry opportunities and constraints e.g. a knowledge of tooling issues in hard goods
- Work closely with technical team to ensure Mothercare quality and safety standards are met
- Work closely with Range Architecture function to understand global performance and global product requirements to build the range
- Work closely with suppliers to ensure that samples are processed to meet deadlines
- Contribute to design strategy within the team and drive the brand forward by constantly reviewing, challenging and moving our ranges forward.
- Conduct UK inspiration trips and attend relevant Trade Fairs to collaborate original inspiration, relevant to the Mothercare handwriting. Create reports and implement the findings.
- Build strong, collaborative working relationships within the wider design team, buyers and external suppliers as necessary.
- Deputise for Designer as required
- You will have a fabulous sense of colour & drawing ability and will enjoy working to high standards, sharing best practice & delivering profit to the business.
- You will be able to demonstrate your individual design flair and have a strong understanding of the Mothercare brand "handwriting"
- We're looking for someone who has a strong passion to work for Mothercare with the ability to design product with a unique point of difference from our competitors.
- With excellent presentation and communication skills, you will be confident in presenting your themes and ideas to the wider business and team.
- You will be competent working with either photoshop or illustrator: working knowledge of both CAD packages is desirable.
- If you can demonstrate a commercial understanding of both the global babywear market and the Mothercare customer, then this could be the role for you.
- Preferably you will be educated to Degree standard in Fashion Design, with at least 2/3yrs experience working within a design room environment for an aspirational babywear brand.
What’s in it for you? These are exciting times at the Mothercare Group – for our customers and for our people. Our business is transforming and you could be part of this change. We offer a competitive salary and benefits, on the job training and an opportunity for career progression for the right person.
For over 50 years, the Mothercare Group has been providing parents and parents-to-be with everything they need in one place, offering the best quality and most innovative products, from pregnancy to 8 years. It is a respected international brand with over 1200 stores in over 60 countries.
Mothercare cares. If you care, come and join us.
Why not create a career profile and sign up for job alerts?