Mothercare Global Brand - Head Office, Westside 1, London Road, Hemel Hempstead , HP39TD
|Contract Hours:||Full Time|
Mothercare's Design Team are seeking a talented Graphic & Essentials Designer to join them.You will be a creative individual, with an immense passion for designing emotive graphics, artworks and illustrations that are commercial and balanced yet truly fit the aspirations of parents worldwide. Reporting into the Head Of Design, you will have full ownership of the print handwriting for baby and kids' essentials product, as well as supporting graphics for Main Range and Home & Travel. Including researching trends, identifying competitors and liaising with both freelance artists and suppliers to produce graphics that truly fit our brand aesthetics.
- Establish relevant relationships with Commercial Business Partners to generate an appropriate feel for the requirements for the critical 5 global markets
- Ensure all graphic designers are working together to ensure consistent approach, sharing ways of working and designs across all areas to minimise workload
- Establish relevant relationships with Commercial Managers to optimise the producibility of all graphic design. predominantly on baby and kids' essentials.
- Deliver to key milestones in line with critical path
- Lead, identify and interpret original research and market trends with Head of Design and deliver new print and pattern trend, colour combinations, print techniques and applications across the Mothercare brand each season.
- Understand and react to the best and worst and lessons learnt on graphics, with particular focus on baby and kids' essentials.
- Work closely with designers to understand customer needs and expectations and incorporate into ranges & designs
- Design graphics in line with the Mothercare handwriting with new techniques but ensuring global requirements are met
- Work closely with the designer to ensure new techniques are implemented into the global range and that these techniques are sourced and developed ahead of loading.
- Lead in briefing graphics to freelancers in line with seasonal stories and the critical path
- Demonstrate a strong and varied understanding of technical printing, and diverse artwork techniques and have a superior understanding of the print development process.
- Provide print artworks and specification sheets for suppliers showing correct scale and repeat information, as well clear breakdown of colors pantone referenced and print application detail to enable manufacturers to reproduce the prints to Mothercares exacting standards.
- Conduct UK inspiration trips and attend relevant Trade Fairs to collaborate original inspiration, relevant to the Mothercare brand handwriting. Create reports and implement the findings.
- Research print and pattern direction and technique and communicate this effectively to key stakeholders
- Liaise with supply base to achieve successful results, making revisions where necessary to suit processes available. Share learning with the wider graphics team.
- Inspire the graphics and design team with graphic inspiration, comp shopping and research for department by phase each season
- Build strong, collaborative working relationships within the wider design team, buyers, freelancers and external suppliers as necessary.
- Manage meetings with print houses in accordance with the critical path.
- Contribute to strategy within the team and drive the brand forward by challenging and continuously developing our ranges.
- You will have a fabulous sense of colour & drawing ability and will enjoy working to high standards, leading best practice & delivering profit to the business.
- You will be able to demonstrate your individual design flair and develop the Mothercare brand "handwriting" with the rest og the graphics and essentials team.
- You will have the ability to design and drive product development with a unique point of difference from our competitor.
- It is essential that you understand basic baby garment construction as well as a natural flair for painting, sketching and hand drawn graphics.
- With excellent presentation and communication skills, you will be confident in presenting your themes and ideas to the wider business and key stake holders..
- You will be competent working with either photoshop or illustrator: working knowledge of both CAD packages is desirable.
- Previous experience of creating embroidery and embellished artworks is desirable.
- If you can demonstrate a commercial understanding of both the babywear market and the Mothercare customer, then this could be the role for you.
- Educated to Degree standard in Print design (or fashion textiles) with at least 4+yrs experience ideally working for an aspirational babywear brand or print-house.
- Passionate about baby wear. A knowledge of baby garment construction would be beneficial.
Mothercare is known as a cornerstone of the British high street, supporting parents and families for nearly 60 years. But what many people don’t know is that Mothercare is a major global brand with over 800 stores outside of the UK. Its international business is growing.
Mothercare Global Brand is a business-to-business company. It develops the Mothercare strategy, maximising the value of our global brand, designing own-brand products and – as custodians of the brand – defining the ‘Mothercare way’, all of which are distributed around the globe through franchising partnerships. In fact, we are the world’s largest parent-and-baby franchise.
Today, we have 840 stores in 40 countries through our franchise network. In FY19, our international sales turnover was in excess of £600 million.
That’s big. But we’re not content.
There are 60 million births around the globe each year – so there’s a huge market to play for. We will harness our reputation as a trusted brand and work in partnership with our franchisees to grow. We’ll do that in a planned, strategic and commercially-minded way that enables a sustainable, long-term future for the Mothercare brand.
We’ve also just announced a fantastic new franchise with Boots. Boots will exclusively sell Mothercare-branded products – from clothing to car seats to pushchairs – in their UK stores. That means we’re bringing Mothercare back to the high street in partnership with another highly regarded British brand.
It’s an exciting time to work at Mothercare Global Brand. We are on the cusp of something truly special as we leverage the currency of such a credible, iconic brand while bringing to life new ways of thinking and working. Essentially, we are a 59-year-old company with the enthusiasm and drive of a start-up.
Why not create a career profile and sign up for job alerts?