Mothercare Global Brand - Head Office, Westside 1, London Road, Hemel Hempstead , HP39TD
|Contract Hours:||Full Time|
As the Senior Legal Counsel you will deliver proactive and accessible legal advice to the Mothercare Group, covering a wide variety of subject matters and markets, including data privacy, intellectual property, commercial contracts, franchise agreements and all other legal and commercial matters.
Additionally you will hold the following responsibilities:
- Drafting and negotiating commercial agreements (and engaging, where required, with counterparties across 30 markets) from all functions (including IT and digital agreements, supply/financing, licensing, wholesale, franchise, marketing, brand endorsement, sponsorship and social media agreements, as well as NDA's, HOT's and POA's) to meet the strategic objectives of the Mothercare business
- Identifying and mitigating legal and commercial risk
- Ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including but not limited to competition law, marketing, anti-bribery and corruption and data protection
- Developing policies and communicating measures that need to be taken to be and remain compliant with applicable laws
- Advising and working with all relevant functions to ensure compliance with GDPR requirements
- Managing contractual disputes and any other litigation matters that arise, including complaints and data privacy matters, supplier and franchisee disputes (including, where relevant, liaison with insurers, external counsel and internal stakeholders)
- Supporting with the management of the Group IP portfolio with external advisors, including new registrations, renewals, oppositions and domain names
- Providing IP clearance support to the product teams
- Guiding the business on internal policies and processes and providing training on legal issues
- Managing ad hoc commercial property matters as they arise
- Acting as single point of contact on legal matters for Executive, thereby becoming a trusted advisor to the Mothercare business
- Managing and updating legal and contractual systems and databases
- Providing legal / regulatory support to the Company Secretary across a range of areas, including with respect to subsidiary governance, board / committee terms of reference, the Annual Report, the AGM and on other governance matters that arise]
- Adding value across a wide range of legal areas, including areas where the individual is not a subject matter expert but where they have the confidence and ability to provide support (with the involvement of external counsel, where appropriate)
- Develop effective and integrated relationships and credibility with (i) internal stakeholders across the Mothercare business and (ii) external stakeholders (including external counsel, insurers and other advisers (where required))
- UK/common law qualified lawyer (5+ pqe) trained in a top commercial law firm or in-house team;
- Proven experience working in a fast paced, omni-channel retail business covering UK and/or international markets;
- Strong contract drafting and negotiation experience (covering UK and/or international markets) on a broad range of commercial contracts including , supply/financing, licensing, wholesale, franchise, marketing, IT and digital, data protection, IP, competition, litigation, employment and marketing/advertising matters;
- Ability to work at pace and manage competing priorities;
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to break down complex legal issues for the wider business and influence and advise at Executive level;
- Solution orientated and enjoy problem solving on a wide variety of legal and commercial issues
- Strive for excellence, but have the ability to take a balanced approach to commercial risk; and aspire to be a true partner and trusted advisor to the business at all levels
Mothercare is known as a cornerstone of the British high street, supporting parents and families for nearly 60 years. But what many people don’t know is that Mothercare is a major global brand with over 800 stores outside of the UK. Its international business is growing.
Mothercare Global Brand is a business-to-business company. It develops the Mothercare strategy, maximising the value of our global brand, designing own-brand products and – as custodians of the brand – defining the ‘Mothercare way’, all of which are distributed around the globe through franchising partnerships. In fact, we are the world’s largest parent-and-baby franchise.
Today, we have 840 stores in 40 countries through our franchise network. In FY19, our international sales turnover was in excess of £600 million.
That’s big. But we’re not content.
There are 60 million births around the globe each year – so there’s a huge market to play for. We will harness our reputation as a trusted brand and work in partnership with our franchisees to grow. We’ll do that in a planned, strategic and commercially-minded way that enables a sustainable, long-term future for the Mothercare brand.
We’ve also just announced a fantastic new franchise with Boots. Boots will exclusively sell Mothercare-branded products – from clothing to car seats to pushchairs – in their UK stores. That means we’re bringing Mothercare back to the high street in partnership with another highly regarded British brand.
It’s an exciting time to work at Mothercare Global Brand. We are on the cusp of something truly special as we leverage the currency of such a credible, iconic brand while bringing to life new ways of thinking and working. Essentially, we are a 59-year-old company with the enthusiasm and drive of a start-up.
Why not create a career profile and sign up for job alerts?